In observance of Memorial Day, the law library will be closed Sunday, May 24 and Monday, May 25.
A brief Memorial Day History is available on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Website. Also of interest may be two famous Memorial Day speeches delivered by Oliver Wendell Holmes, one in 1884 and the other addressed to the graduating class at Harvard Law School in 1895. PDFs of these speeches are available using The Making of Modern Law: Legal Treatises Database (GMUSL users may link to this database here).
And where is Memorial Day officially designated a Federal holiday? Title 36 of the United States Code includes statutes relating to “Patriotic and National Observances.” 36 U.S.C. § 116 designates the last Monday in May as Memorial Day.
Access to Legal Databases:
- Bloomberg Law: Full access continues until December 31, 2015. No action needed.
- Lexis Advance:
- Full access through July 1, 2015. No action needed.
- Graduates who register here will receive access to a Graduate Home Page with tailored content, resume tips, virtual research training, and current legal news from Law360® through December 31, 2015.
- If you are working for a nonprofit or public interest organization you may apply here for one year of free access through the ASPIRE Program.
- Access to job-related resources for 18 months. No action needed.
- Graduating students may extend their password here for unlimited Westlaw access through November 30th for Academic purposes, finding a job, for updating research/note/comments, etc.
Access to Library Services:
- Student IDs are valid through October 12, 2015—so new graduates may reserve study rooms, check out books (until Sept. 30), and use the computer labs.
- The library is open to the public for conducting legal research, so please feel free to use our print resources and publicly available databases— including in-library access to Keycite, Shepards, Bloomberg Law, and HeinOnline. There are also Westlaw and Lexis Patron Access Terminals with limited primary sources. More information about the library’s access policy is available here.
- Reference librarians are also happy to assist you in person, by phone 703.993.8076, or email.
During the summer, Current GMUSL Students have the following legal database access:
- Bloomberg Law: Unlimited, unrestricted access. No registration required.
- Lexis Advance: Unlimited, unrestricted access. No registration required.
- Westlaw: Limited, restricted access. Registration required.
- Students retain access to all TWEN courses and materials, and West Academic Online Study Aids.
- Students may apply for a password extension here for the following acceptable uses:
- Summer law school classes
- Law journal work
- Projects for faculty
- Moot court
- Unpaid, nonprofit public-interest internship/externship or pro bono work required for graduation
- Summer passwords may not be used for research for “law firms, corporations or other entity (unrelated to law school) that is paying you to conduct said research or that is passing the costs of said research to a third party.”
Students continue to have full access to all other Law-Related Databases and databases available from the GMU Libraries Database Portal.
Reference Librarians will be available throughout the Summer to answer any research-related questions. Please feel free to call, email, or stop by the Reference Office. Full contact details are available from the library Staff Directory